April 7, 2020
Whether you’re washing your scrubs or trying to simply keep your family’s clothes clean, you probably have questions about laundering your clothing with the best practices during this COVID-19 crisis.
Well, look no further, because we’ve got the answers to those cleaning queries from reliable experts, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Here’s the “quick and dirty” version of caring for your wardrobe with disease prevention in mind:
Check your clothing labels and use the normal amount of laundry detergent while washing and drying in the hottest temperature the clothing can tolerate.
And now for the more detailed version of washing your scrubs and other clothing during this COVID-19 crisis. The following clothing tips are specifically developed with medical professionals in mind, who might be exposed at work to COVID-19. Naturally, these tips can also be applied to anyone who is concerned about ways to reduced transmission risk from any potential exposure.
Laundering Best Practices:
- Change your scrubs/clothes and shoes before you leave work or as soon as arriving back home.
- If you didn’t change your shoes before leaving work, remove them at the door to your home or at least clean them before entering. Even better: set aside a pair of shoes for work use only.
- Do not shake out any dirty clothing items that could have been exposed to COVID-19.
- If you are washing items for someone else who could be exposed or sick, wear disposable gloves while handling the items.
- After work, put your work scrubs/clothing directly into your washing machine or in a hamper that is only used for your work clothes.
- Wash your scrubs separately from your regular household laundry.
- Check clothing labels, and wash and dry in the hottest water the clothing can tolerate. Make sure to use adequate laundry detergent.
- After washing any work clothing that could have been exposed, run a laundry cycle with bleach to disinfect your washing machine.
- If you want to take it a step further, there are companies that can manage the laundering for medical practices.
Remember, you can count on BioPlus in these tough times, and in the better days ahead.